To learn more about the anonymous and confidential whistleblower reporting service for potential fraud, ethical issues, and other concerns, please click here.
Town Code’s Ethics Ordinance: https://ecode360.com/8186608
Town's Standards of Conduct
Town of Fairfield's Standards of Conduct as defined in Article XI of the Town Charter: https://cms3.revize.com/revize/fairfield/Document%20Center/Service/fairfieldtowncharter.pdf
The Ethics Commission welcomes inquiries and complaints that fall within the scope of the Commission's responsibilities (see Town Charter 10.15). Some ways to contact the Commission are as follows:
- Via communication to member Paul Fattibene, Secretary email (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please put Ethics Commission in the subject line of the email.
- Via a letter, hand delivered or mailed, to the Ethics Commission c/o Town Clerk's Office, 611 Old Post Road, Fairfield, CT 06824 in an envelope clearly marked CONFIDENTIAL.
The Ethics Commission is responsible for investigating allegations of unethical behavior or violations of the Town Charter's Standards of Conduct by town employees and officials. The Commission also issues general opinions and interpretation of the Standards of Conduct or the Code of Ethics.
The Ethics Commission meets organizationally in December and as needed otherwise via Conference Call Bridge. All schedules and locations are subject to change. Please check the Town Meetings Calendar for cancellations or location changes.
About the Ethics Commission
|Two Years (Two Term Limit)
|# of Members:
|Board of Selectmen and RTM
|Party Balance Required?:
|Town Charter - Article X
The Ethics Commission shall receive and consider complaints alleging violations of the Standards of Conduct or any ordinance establishing a Code of Ethics for town officials and employees. The commission also issues general opinions and interpretation of the Standards of Conduct or the Code of ethics.
- Receiving complaints alleging violations of the Standards of Conduct or any ordinance establishing a Code of Ethics for town officials; and
- Upon sworn complaint or upon vote of three members, investigating the actions and conduct of elected and appointed town officials, RTM members, and employees of the town to determine whether there is probable cause that a violation has occurred of the Standards of Conduct or Code of Ethics; and
- Rendering an advisory opinion with respect to any specific relevant situation under the Standards of Conduct or Code of Ethics, upon the request of a principal officer of a department, or any member of a Town authority, board, commission, or committee, or any member of the RTM; and
- Considering written requests for advisory opinions referred by a department head with respect to any problem submitted to the department head in writing by an employee in the department; and
- Adopting regulations to assure procedures for the orderly and prompt performance of the Commission's duties; and
- Upon a finding of probable cause, initiating hearings to determine whether there has been a violation of the Standards of Conduct or Code of Ethics; and
- Upon finding of a violation of the Standards of Conduct or Code of Ethics, at its discretion, recommending appropriate disciplinary action to the Board of Selectmen or appropriate department heads; and
- Notifying the complaining person and the person against whom the complaint was made that the investigation has been terminated and the results no later than 10 days after the termination of its probable cause investigation; and
- At hearings after finding probable cause, affording the person protection of due process as outlined under the “Connecticut Uniform Administrative Procedures Act”; and
- Hearings shall be held within 90 days of the initiation of the investigation.
When necessary, retaining its own counsel, administer oaths and issue subpoenas to compel the attendance of persons at hearings and the production of books, documents, records, and papers.
Ethics Commission Member Listing
|Nancy S. Billington (R)
|7/2022 - 7/2024
|William A. Diaz, III (D)
|7/2022 - 7/2024
|7/2023 - 7/2025
|Paul Fattibene (R)
|7/2023 - 7/2025 (Approved by RTM on 08/21/23)
|7/2023 - 7/2025