Human Resources Department
Sullivan Independence Hall
725 Old Post Road
Fairfield, CT 06824
Hours: Monday - Friday: 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
Most Requested Information
- Job openings are posted here.
- FOIA request process document
- 2016 - Benefits Summary
- 2019 - Benefit Summary for Non-Union Department Heads and Public Elected Officials
- 2021-07-08 Benefits Summary for Non-Union Department Heads & Public Elected Officials
To manage the Town's hiring, labor relations, administer employee benefits, protect Town property and promote safe work practices.
The Human Resources Department manages the many town employees—an array of full time, part time, seasonal and contract employees plus retirees. The Department of Human Resources is responsible for all personnel administration, benefits and risk management. Performing these functions requires the interpretation and application of Federal and State laws, collective bargaining agreements, town charter and codes, and various other regulatory and statutory mandates affecting employment in the town. The Human Resources Department is also first stop for those who want to apply to work in the town.
Human Resources Department also manages the town health insurance plan, reviewing policies and sending out for bids when necessary. Each year the federal and state insurance legislated benefits change and the Human Resources tracks and implements these changes.
The gamut of areas covered by the Human Resources Department include:
- Labor Relations: Collective bargaining agreements, pension plans, interpretation of Federal and State labor laws; Grievances, hearings, formal complaints, unfair labor practices, mediation, arbitration and litigation.
- Personnel Administration: Maintain databases for employees and retirees, manage confidentiality and Freedom of Information regulations, handle issues from employees, family members, retirees, and the press and general public.
- Employee Benefits: Handle employee benefits including healthcare, life insurance, self-insured unemployment compensation, pension plans, deferred compensation plan, and other educational material for employees.
- Staff Services: Recruit and select employment risk management, do employee orientation services and interviews, run training programs in safety, tech and general areas, assist with training for department heads and staff. Also job classification and employee compensation issues.
- Risk Management: Administer all areas of risk management including workers compensation, compliance with OSHA regulations, insurance programs and policies for town property, liability programs and polices for public officials, law enforcement liability, general liability for auto and umbrella policies.