Opening a Restaurant, Food Store, Food Truck/Cart, or other Food Business

All entities preparing, serving and/or selling food in the Town of Fairfield must be licensed by the Health Department and/or the CT Department of Consumer Protection. If you are opening a new restaurant in a previously licensed establishment, please call the Health Department and speak to the Sanitarian assigned to that location. If you are opening a new food service establishment you will need to submit a plan designed by an architect or kitchen designer detailing the layout, all equipment locations and other information.

Please see our Food Establishment Plan Review Application for the specifics of what will need to be provided. Some of the basic requirements include all equipment being commercial grade and NSF approved; walls, floors, and ceilings being made of durable easy to clean materials (i.e. quarry tile floor with a quarry tile cove base, FRP board or tile walls and vinyl coated ceiling tiles) and a Qualified Food Operator certificate may be necessary. The floor plans, specification sheets on the equipment and a draft menu are required to start the plan review process. Please contact the Environmental Health Program at (203) 256-3020 for more information.

Cottage Food Operators must comply with the requirements of and obtain a license from the CT Department of Consumer Protection

Food License Forms

Please click here for Food Establishment, Food Truck or Temporary Food License Applications.