Environmental Health Program

Environmental Health Program 

The Environmental Health Program provides a variety of services to the community and issues various licenses, permits, and certificates.  The department employs State Licensed Registered Sanitarians to perform the necessary inspections. For more information on any of these services please call 203-256-3020. 

Food Service Establishments/Events
The FDA Food Code was implemented in 2023 to regulate plan reviews, licensing, and inspections of restaurants, grocery stores, delis, pharmacies, convenience stores, bakeries, retail food sales, theaters, temporary food events, farmers markets, itinerant/mobile vendors, nursing home food service, university food service, public and private schools food service, and seasonal food concessions. There are over 450 annually licensed establishments and many events in Fairfield that require over 1,200 inspections per year.  There is a yearly application and fee for plan reviews, licensing, and inspections for all food establishments.

Subsurface Sewage Disposal Systems SSDS (Septic Systems)
Septic systems that are properly designed, installed, and maintained provide a safe way to dispose of domestic sewage. Registered Sanitarians review plans, issue permits, conduct testing, and perform inspections related to the installation and repair of SSDS.  All permits for any construction activity for dwellings with an SSDS require a review and sign-off by a sanitarian. An estimated fifteen percent of Fairfield homes utilize on site septic systems.

Housing - Certificates of Rental Occupancy
A Certificate of Rental Occupancy must be obtained before renting and requires an inspection for each new tenant for a certificate to be issued. This pertains to all rental dwelling units including all non-dormitory university housing. There are over 3,000 rented residential dwelling units in Fairfield that require plan reviews, licensing, and inspections of hotels, motels, and rooming houses.

Cosmetology Establishments
All Cosmetology Establishments are required to have a license with the State of Connecticut for barber shops, hair salons, nail salons, and eyelash salons. There is a yearly application and fee for plan reviews, licensing, and inspections for all cosmetology establishments.

Recreational Water
There are yearly licenses and inspections to test water at all public pools including pools at condo associations, private clubs, YMCA, universities, and hotels. Public swimming areas at beaches and lakes are tested from mid-May to Labor Day each week.  Water quality inspections include collecting water samples to test from the Town’s public swimming areas. Issues swimming area closures and advisories as needed and maintains the Fairfield Beach Updates site.

Public Facilities
Conducts environmental safety inspections of public and private schools, daycares, and nursery schools.

Conducts inspections and issues orders related to the enforcement of the Town’s unfit structures and blight ordinances.

Vector-Borne Disease Prevention
Investigates, issues orders, abates and provides public information related to mosquitoes and rodent infestations. Provides testing and information related to exposure to rabid animals. For more information of rabies please click here

Lead Poisoning Prevention
The Lead Poisoning Prevention Program aims to protect health and safety while promoting wellness through education. A certified lead inspector reviews all pediatric blood lead testing results, conducts an inspection, provides educational materials, and follow-up with reminders to parents and doctors. They consult with parents to obtain testing of homes of lead poisoned children.

Drinking Water
Reviews and issues well drilling permits and related water testing.

Sandblasting and Demolition Permits
Reviews applications and issues permits to prevent environmental contamination and illness related to potential lead dust or asbestos exposure

Investigates complaints regarding licensed facilities, permitted activities, housing, nuisances, and other issues such as hoarding, blight and condemnation. The office receives, investigates, and resolves hundreds of complaint investigations per year.

Tick and Radon Testing Services
The Department also offers free tick identification, tick testing for $5 and radon testing devices for $20. Tick identification is performed during office hours. Ticks can be sent for testing once identified and found to meet testing criteria. Radon test kits can be picked up any time during our normal work hours. 

Foodborne Illness and Outbreak Response
Conducts epidemiological interviews with all cases of Investigates, responds, conducts epidemiological interviews, implements control measures and provides education to prevent or reduce the spread of infectious disease being transmitted through food, drinking water and other potential exposure pathways.

Itinerant Food Vendors
An itinerant food vendor can receive a license and be inspected by one local health jurisdiction and then be allowed to operate in another local health jurisdiction as long as the two local health departments have signed the reciprocal licensing/permitting agreement. There are many local ordinances that are not covered by the agreement, such as fire, parking, zoning, building, and other required local permits. Itinerant food vendors shall receive proper local approvals prior to operating their business in towns where these other types of permits are required for itinerant food vending establishments. Advance notification may be required for local approvals. For more information, please visit the State's website. For questions, please contact the Fairfield Health Department's Environmental Department at 203-256-3020.