c/o Department of Public Works
725 Old Post Road
Fairfield, CT 06824
- Information on Southport Harbor mooring permits and the waiting list may be found at: https://my.onlinemooring.com/FairfieldCT
- Mooring Rules and Procedures Adopted 5-18-21
- Mooring Rules and Procedures Image Map Adopted 5-18-21
- Southport Harbor Past Present & Future - December 2022 Presentation by Geoffrey Steadman
- Information Regarding the Harbor Master can be found here.
The Harbor Management Commission is charged with implementing the Town's adopted management plan for Southport Harbor.
The Harbor Management Commission generally meets the third Tuesday of the month at 4:30 pm. both in-person in the First Floor Conference Room in The Honorable John J. Sullivan Independence Hall, 725 Old Post Road, and via Conference Call Bridge. All schedules and locations are subject to change. Please check the Town Meetings Calendar for cancellations or location change
About the Harbor Management Commission
|Term Length:||Four Years (Two Term Limit)|
|# of Members:||Seven|
|Appointing Body:||Board of Selectmen and RTM|
|Party Balance Required?:||Yes|
|Defined In:||Town Code - Chapter 24|
The Harbor Management Commission is charged with implementing the Town’s adopted “Management Plan for Southport Harbor”. The Plan provides for safe and beneficial use of Southport Harbor, protects the Harbor’s natural and cultural resources, and establishes the Town’s authority for managing the Harbor.
Powers and Duties
- Managing the mooring and anchoring of all boats in the Harbor and reviewing all proposals affecting the Harbor to determine adherence with the Plan.
- Managing the town property known as the “Lower Wharf” for public use and enjoyment.
- Providing an annual review of the Management Plan for Southport Harbor and making additions or modifications to the plan as appropriate.
- Recommending ordinances for adoption by the RTM to implement the Management Plan for Southport Harbor and specifying fines for violating any ordinances.
- Reviewing for consistency with the Southport Harbor Management Plan any public notice of an application for a permit for an activity affecting the real property on, in, or contiguous to the Commission’s jurisdiction and respond in a timely manner.
- Conducting or initiating studies of the conditions and operations in and adjacent to the Harbor Management Area.
- Assisting the Harbor Management Commission and the Harbor Master in their duties, the Commission may appoint a special agent who will serve at their behest.
- Hiring staff and consultants
|1||Donald R. Hyman (D)||11/2021 - 11/2025|
|2||Douglas Metchick (D)||11/2021 - 11/2025|
|3||William J. Perugini (R)||2023 Secretary||11/2021 - 11/2025|
|4||Jeffrey S. Warren (U)||11/2019 - 11/2023|
|5||Eric G. Sundman (R)||11/2019 - 11/2023|
|6||Kim Taylor (D)||2023 Chair||11/2019 - 11/2023|
|7||Jacob M. Herschler (D)||2023 Vice-Chair||11/2019 - 11/2023|
|ALT1||Dave J. Henry (D)||11/2021 - 11/2023 (Appointed 01/24/23)|
|ALT2||George O. Harris (R)||11/2021 - 11/2023 (Appointed 6/5/23)|