Shellfish Permits are required for the gathering of shellfish in coastal waters of Fairfield. Permits are issued by the Conservation Department. See details below for the different types of permits.
For information on Fairfield's Shellfish Program, including rules and regulations, visit our Shellfish Program web page. Visit the Town's Mailing Lists page and select 'Shellfish Commission News' to sign up for electronic notification of the opening and closing of shellfish beds as well as other events and important information regarding shellfishing in Fairfield. Contact the Conservation Department with any questions.
Recreational Shellfish Permits
Recreational Shellfish Permits allow for the gathering of shellfish (hard clams, soft clams, razor clams, oysters, mussels, etc.) from the conditionally approved Shellfish Growing Area at Sasco Hill Beach. Shellfish MUST be gathered with hand tools and there are quantity and size limits on daily take-home.
Here is some information regarding recreational shellfish permits:
- Proof of Connecticut residency is required
- Annual Fee: $20 for resident; $10 senior resident (60 years or over); $40 for non-resident
- Permit Season: January 1 through December 31
- Children under 16 who are accompanied by an adult with a valid permit, do not need a permit unless they are filling their own basket
- Permits shall not be lent, resold or transferred to any other individual
- Permits must be attached to the permittee at all times and readily available for inspection on demand
All permit holders are subject to the Town of Fairfield Recreational Shellfishing Rules and Regulations.
Click here for a Recreational Shellfish Permit Application. Hard copies of applications are also available at the Conservation Department.
As of June 2019, permits can now be purchased online.
Commercial Shellfish Permits
Commercial Shellfish Permits are not being offered at this time. Please contact the Conservation Department if you have questions regarding commercial shellfishing.