About the Police Commission
# of Members:
Party Balance Required?:
Five Years (Two Term Limit)
Board of Selectmen
Town Charter - Article X
The Police Commission works with the Police Chief on matters concerning and affecting the Police Department.
Powers and Duties
• Managing and supervising the Police Department and of all property and equipment used by or in connection with the operation of the department
• Making rules and regulations consistent with general statutes and the Town Charter for the governance of the police department and its personnel, and may prescribe penalties for violations of the rules and regulations.
• Appointing the Chief of Police, have power to appoint and promote to all positions in the Police Department, subject to the provision on this Charter.
• Determining qualifications for each rank and grade in the police department.
• Determining the number of officers and other employees of the police deparmtn and of that several ranks and grades and their compensation