The following is an update as of October 31, 2019 on the status of remediation at six sites as well as a list of additional fill use sites that have now been sampled.
Site Specific Updates
- Gould Manor Park: Remediation work is continuing and currently all the soils believed to be impacted have been removed. Post excavation soil samples are being collected and analyzed. Once this confirms the work is complete, new clean material will be put in place. The work is taking longer than the 10 days originally estimated due to a few factors including several days with high wind and rain when work had to be stopped. Air sampling results taken during excavation work are posted on the Fill Use Issues webpage.
- Burroughs Park: Remediation is set to begin after Gould Manor Park is completed and will involve soil removal in the area of the one impacted soil sample. This will likely start the week of 11/11/19. The Remediation Plan has been posted to the Fill Use Issues webpage.
- Jennings Elementary School: Remediation is expected to begin after Burroughs Park and a remediation plan is being finalized with the input of school officials. Scheduling to enable soil removal work and wood removal related work to be completed concurrently and be done outside of school hours is being coordinated. Additional samples related to the pressure treated wood removal work are being collected. Additional samples were needed because the original concept of replacing the wood border with a non-wood product is not feasible due to the structural limitations of the product and the layout of the playground. Once a Remediation Plan has been finalized it will be posted on the Fill Use Issues webpage.
- Mill Hill Elementary School: Except for the two initial samples with exceedances from the ADA sidewalk area, all samples from the field, playground and other areas along the sidewalk have come back with no exceedances. The area around those two samples has been restricted by a covering. Tighe & Bond has recommended to remove the impacted soil in those two areas and replace it with clean material. A plan for this work is being developed. Renovations already planned for the school will involve the removal of this sidewalk in 2020.
- Jennings Beach Playground: Additional delineation samples in the area of the water line project are being collected to enable the development of the remediation action plan. This site will involve the removal of some soils through excavation.
- Old Dam Road – Behind Recreation Building: A remediation plan is being developed by Tighe & Bond to address the impacted soils present there and will involve removal of some soils through excavation.
Supplemental List Sampling
Samples have been collected at the following locations from the Supplemental List. Results will be posted to the Fill Use Issues webpage when they are received:
- Coral Drive
- High Ridge Road
- Osborn Hill School
- Ronald Drive
- Stratfield Road
- Sunset Avenue
As always, we encourage you to visit our Fill Use Issues webpage, and reach out to the Health Department with any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org.