2016-2017 Annual Budget
The Town of Fairfield's budget process begins in January and ends in May. Below are dates and documents related to the approval of the Fiscal Year 2016-2017 Annual Budget (FY2017 - July 1 2016 to June 30 2017).
For details on the Board of Education budget please visit the Board of Education's Budget Page. For general information on the budgeting process please visit our Annual Budget Process Overview web page. And for details and documents related to last year's budget please visit the 2015-2016 Annual Budget web page.
The Board of Selectmen (BOS) and Board of Finance (BOF) will hold seven joint budget hearings during the month of March. Click here to view the BOS-BOF Budget Hearing Schedule.
The Representative Town Meeting (RTM) will hold three budget hearings in early April. Click here to view the RTM Budget Hearing Schedule.
Public Comment Session
The Board of Finance will hold a Public Comment session on Saturday, March 19th at 9:30 am in the Fairfield Ludlowe High School auditorium. Check the Town Meetings Calendar for last minute time or location changes.
The annual budget is voted on by four Town bodies. The voting dates for 2016 are as follows. Check the Town Meetings Calendar for time and location:
*No public comment
Most Requested Links and Documents
The following is a list of the most requested links and documents. Handouts and all other budget documents may be accessed below. To see all documents from all years please visit the Finance Department's Forms and Documents web page and select budget information.
Here are the Budget Handouts related to the 2016-2017 town budget process:
Listing files in '2016-2017 Handouts'
Use this dropdown box to see all documents related to the 2016-2017 budget process:
Listing files in '2016-2017 Budget Information'
Miss a budget hearing? Click the date below to watch FairTV's video coverage of the BOF-BOS Budget Hearings as the video becomes available*.
- Summary Budget Presentation by First Selectman
- Retiree (OPEB, Pension)
- Administrative & General (Legal Services, Internal Service Fund-Active Medical/Risk Management, Human Resources Administration, Unemployment Compensation, Active Employee Benefits, Contingency)
- Finance (Purchasing, Administrative Services, Finance, Fund Balance, Assessor, Board of Finance, Debt Service - Tax Collector and Information Technology on 3/21)
- Culture and Recreation (Parks & Recreation, Penfield Pavilion Complex, Waterfront & Marina, Golf Courses - Library on 3/21)
- Board of Education (Superintendent's Budget Presentation, BOE Budget, Health & Welfare Services, Private Bus Transportation)
- Public Works (Building, Solid Waste & Recycling, Public Works Administration & Operations, Engineering, Street Lighting, WPCA)
- Public Safety (Fire, Hydrant & Water, Emergency Management, Emergency Communications, Police, Animal Control)
Health and Welfare (Health, Human and Social Services)
- Administrative and General (Board of Selectmen, Town Clerk, FairTV, Registrar of Voters, Zoning Board of Appeals, Town Plan and Zoning, Probate Court, Historic District Commission, Conservation, Shellfish, Miscellaneous Contingencies, Community & Economic Development, Harbor Management Commission)
- Culture and Recreation (Library - all others on 3/3)
- Finance (Tax Collector, Information Technology - all others on 3/3)
- Miscellaneous (Not for Profit Organizations)
- Final Follow Up if Required (All Departments)
*Hearing dates and/or what items are heard on a particular date may change due to weather, staff availability and other factors. Consult the BOS-BOF Budget Hearing Schedule for the most up-to-date information.