Old Town Hall Parking lot will be closed Thursday, August 11th to Thursday, August 18th for paving. Please use the entrance for the Fairfield Museum - 370 Beach Road - and utilize parking at Sullivan Independence Hall. 

Departments & Services > Building > Building Permit Application Requirements

Building Permit Application Requirements

The following information is required in order to fill out the Building Permit Application

  • Survey of property- not required for interior renovations. 
  • Detailed framing plan.
  • Footing foundation plan.
  • Elevation, floor and insulation plan. 
  • Typical cross-section view.
  • Residential Energy Code Calculation Report (RESCHECK) for all additions and new home construction (See www.energycodes.gov).
  • Call Before You Dig# for all additions and pools.
  • Contractor's name, address, phone number and consumer protection registration number (license number).
  • Owner's signature on permit application, or letter of authorization allowing contractor to pull permit.
  • Plans must be submitted electronically at the time of application. Submitted plans will need to be stamped by a registered design professional if your project meets the following criteria: 1) For residential applications utilizing engineered structural wood not covered in the IRC ( Such as LVLs). 2) For commercial project applications with a use group of : A- Assembly, E-Educational, I-Institutional, R-1, R-2, or R-4 Residential. Also for projects greater than 5,000 sqft. with a use group of B-Business,  F-Factory, S-Storage, U-Utility (Non-agricultural) for all work other than a repair or level-1 alteration as defined by section 502 of the 2015 IEBC. 
  • For commercial projects that exceed the Threshold Limits as defined by section 107.7 of the 2018 CSBC,  an independent structural engineering review will be required per section 107.7.1
  • Certificate of insurance for workers compensation with property owner listed as certificate holder.  
  • All mechanical permits are issued separately with their own fees.

ALL Building Permit Applications must be approved and electronically by the Town Plan & Zoning Department and the Conservation Department before the Building Department can issue the Permit. Also, where applicable, the following departments must also approve and stamp:

  • Fire Marshal - For all commercial permits
  • Engineering Dept - For all new home permits
  • Health Dept - For properties w/septic systems, all pools and all rentals
  • Sewer Dept - For properties connected to the town sewer system
  • Tree Warden - For all trees on public property